Thursday, April 06, 2006

Oooh! Topical Humor!

Before I get started today, a thanks to The DIY Rockstar for the plug yesterday in return for my tracking down a Decemberists track for him. Also, if by chance you’ve clicked onto here via there, welcome.

So making waves in the media this week was the announcement that Katie Couric of NBC's Today show was moving to CBS to anchor the evening news. While I could note that she's making history for being the first solo female anchor on a major evening newscast, I'd rather point out she's the first person Barenaked Ladies wrote a song about to accomplish this feat.

Let me explain.

On their most recent album (yes, the one with the damn monkey song), Barenaked Ladies had a catchy little song called "Maybe Katie". On the surface, its a cute back-and-forth between Ed Robertson and Steve Page over whether or not to pursue the titular female, and for a while I accepted it as that. Then, the boys had a gig on the Today Show, and told Ms. Couric the song was in fact about her, and it got me thinking. It is, after all, about an older woman ("just because her youth is fading/doesn't mean she's not worth dating") with kids ("forevers not so long, stop moping/she's got a daughter and you're just not coping"... have I mentioned how much I adore this bands lyrics?). Plus, the guys have made jokes about Katie Couric before in interviews (expressing concern for her ever-growing forehead, if I recall).

Therefore, the song can't be about anyone else BUT Katie Couric. And since Brian Wilson hasn't hosted the news ever insofar as I know, it would appear that Katie Couric is in fact the first person featured in a song by Barenaked Ladies to host a major network newscast.

Congrats, Katie!

Barenaked Ladies- Maybe Katie

PS- A Word of Caution: if you're ever dating a girl named Katie or some variation on that (and let's face it folks, that’s just about every other girl you’ve met in college, so the odds are good), and you know for a fact that your family knows this song, make sure the CD is not in the car before taking her on an extended car ride with them.

Because they will play it. And they will sing along. And you will be mortified.

...what?

No, of course that never happened to me...just a hypothetical thing I thought of once...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home