Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Travelogue Thursday: International Relations Majors, I Salute You

Here at the illustrious James Madison College, I find myself in a strange minority. Although I have taken on two of the school’s three possible majors, I still find myself not sharing a major with almost half my class, due to the fact that I decided to shun the field of International Relations, far and away Jimmy Mad’s most popular field of study.

Mind you, I have nothing against my IR peers. They work hard, have some great profs, and are very clever people in their own right. For me, however, the politics of who’s blowing up who and why just isn’t my forte, and international political economy gives me a headache no matter how intrigued I am by it. Yes sir, I’ll just stick to my social policy and political theory, thanks very much.

Tonight, however, I wish to pay tribute to my IR brethren in the only way I know how… with the Decemberists. The song “Sixteen Military Wives” is by far the catchiest thing they ever did (though I’m slowly growing fond of the rest of their catalog too), as well as one of the more original political anthems out there. More importantly, it’s backed by a phenomenal music video which, aside from being a tribute to the great Wes Anderson, centers around Model UN, the official pastime of all IR dorks (they’ve roped me into these things a few times… whoo boy, do I have Model UN stories).

Anyhow, enjoy the video, and remember—when I’m president, there will be an ambassadorship waiting with your name on it ;)

The Decemberists- Sixteen Military Wives

The Video (link):

2 Comments:

Blogger Nick said...

JEFF!

I love this video. It's great... the best part is either the Republic of Mauritus or finding weapons. Thanks for the shout out to IR. Being IR/ PTCD I feel like I am missing my feelings and heart. Hopefully PTCD won't suck it all out of me.

11:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeff Lakin my love for you just doubled... twice. The republic of Mauritis.. wow. Though it was the "sanctions" that killed me. Great post

12:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home