Monday, September 11, 2006

Land that I Love, Indeed

I could bore you guys with 9.11 potificating tonight, but I think this song is all that needs to be said.

I came across this track exactly a year ago, after hearing it performed live to open up an amazing concert by Mr. Sufjan Stevens and company (the star-spangled jumpsuit was just the beginning of the awesomeness, believe me). In any case, it's easily one of the most patriotic songs I can think of, simply because it doesn't settle on an easy answer. Rather than wrapping America up in a flag and platitudes about liberty and freedom, it stands in awe, trying to take in the whole wide scope of the American experience before Sufjan just breaks down into a chorus of "God bless America.... Land that I Love" in the end, and you've never felt the words expressed with more sincerity.

Enough blabbering, let's make with the song:
Sufjan Stevens- The 50 States Song (live)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home