Wednesday, August 09, 2006

What I Listened to on My Summer Vacation: Elvis Costello and Allen Toussaint

Jeff Tweedy’s got company at the top.

For those of you who know me, the Wilco frontman has long been my favorite musician of all time, to the point that he’s been accused of being God to me (I can neither confirm nor deny said charges). However, after this summer I can safely sat that another artist has moved into a dead tie for the number one spot: Mr. Declan Patrick Aloysius McManus, better known to the world as Elvis Costello. Granted, I was always a big fan of Elvis Costello, but a variety of things have moved him up into the number one spot over the course of this summer:

The New Album. In June, Elvis Costello came out with a new album with New Orleans jazz legend Allen Toussaint entitled “The River in Reverse,” featuring covers from Toussaint’s catalog as well as some original compositions. Adding a horn section and Toussaint’s piano skills to the always impressive Imposters gave the music a fresh sound, and Costello’s voice only seems to be getting better with age. In short, it was a great addition to his catalog as well as yet another impressive genre experiment from the rocker turned musical chameleon.

The Live Show. I managed—after an hour long ride on DC Metro and bus—to catch Mr. Costello and Mr. Toussaint on their tour this summer at the gorgeous Wolf Trap theatre in Vienna, VA. Most of the new album was played, complete with Elvis Costello fleshing out the allusions to Hurricane Katrina with scathing commentary on the Bush administration, as well as some classic Toussaint songs. Best of all, however, were the Costello hits rearranged for horns by Allen Toussaint, like the version of “Alison” that began with a gorgeous brass intro and closed with Costello segueing into the Motown classic “Tracks of my Tears”. All in all, it was a phenomenal show even from the lawn, and one of the more satisfying concerts I’ve been to.

The Tribute. I covered this previously in this space, but the VH1 Decades Rock Live Tribute to Elvis Costello was every bit as amazing as I had hoped, with Death Cab for Cutie, Fiona Apple, and Billie Joe Armstrong all turning in stellar performances. The latter was perhaps the most amusing of all—the two of them seemed like a long lost father and son team strumming acoustic guitars on stage, with Billie Joe paying homage to “Alison” and Elvis making “Good Riddance” cool for the first time in a decade.

So welcome to favored musician status, Mr. Costello… I have no doubt you and Mr. Tweedy can share the spot without trouble, so long as Tweedy doesn’t turn into a bear and maul you to death.

Elvis Costello- The River In Reverse

VIDEO: Elvis Costello and Billie Joe Armstrong- Good Riddance

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeff, you should write for a magazine. . . even though I don't know what you are talking about some of the time (well, I admit, most of the time) in your posts, I always enjoy reading your blogs, as well as, in most cases here, the music. --LBSB--

2:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My only comment --Costello exudes "cool" Billy Joe on the other had had a chance at cool before he wore eyeliner, now any chance of that was lost in his strive at embracing "scene kids'" fashions.

2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home