Saturday, June 10, 2006

Marvin Gaye Evangelism

Gasp! Has it really been over a week since I’ve posted anything? Fear not, I haven’t fallen off the face of the earth, just gone to live in my personal Disneyland—Washington DC. I’m doing the intern thing, working with Presidential Classroom to shuffle a few thousand high school kids through out nation’s capitol, and make sure they stay out of trouble in the meantime. It’s kind of like being a camp counselor, but in the greatest city on earth instead of the middle of nowhere.

Anyhow, updates will be sporadic at best, as my schedule is pretty packed. Most of the people who are regulars here (the ones I know anyway) have their own summer adventures going, so I don’t think they’ll mind too much. While I had a moment, though, I thought I’d share a story.

I was hanging out in East Lansing last weekend, and a friend of mine (who shall remain nameless) made a shameful admission, though she probably didn’t realize it at the time: she had never heard Marvin Gaye’s “I Heard It Through the Grapevine”. This, I should note, was my favorite song at four years old, in part because of those Claymation raisin commercials, but also because my parents had an old record of it that they would play for me, which never failed to get me to dance around the living room. Needless to say, I really felt sorry for her, as even with personal attachments aside, its one of the greatest songs ever written. As I sat there in shock, I wondered how many more of these people were out there… people who had never heard the iconic opening organ riff setting up that unforgettable groove that Marvin Gaye pours unheard of amounts of soul over. Clearly something had to be done. Tonight, out of the vault, I bring you a classic gem of the Motown catalog—enjoy it, be it your first time, or your hundredth.

Marvin Gaye- I Heard It Through The Grapevine

After writing this, I'm thinking a Motown summer for the next two months. How about it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home