Monday, May 22, 2006

A Whole Damn Week with the Same Song, Part 1: The Original

So if you haven’t figured it out by now, I’m incredibly amused by cover songs (though I don’t think I could ever do an entire blog devoted to them). Even more amusing than individual covers, however, is when I come across a song so iconic that that it’s been covered by multiple artists.

Such is the case with the Thin Lizzy 70s rock classic “The Boys Are Back In Town”—I’ve found no fewer than four different versions of this thing, and they’re all unique. Faced with this discovery, I can only devote an entire week in this space to covers of this song, which will either amuse you as much as it amuses me, or drive you insane.

Without further ado, we’ll kick it off with the original, the standard against which all other versions will be judged. After coming back from a weekend trip my freshman year, I discovered my roommate had downloaded a best of Thin Lizzy compilation. Asking him why, he said that if “The Boys Are Back in Town” was such a great song, they had to have something else worthwhile. They didn’t, but after you’ve written a song this universally appealing, do you really need anything more?

Thin Lizzy- The Boys are Back In Town

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of oft covered, mention must be made of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah. There's his, Rufus's, Jeff Buckley's, and of course U2's absolutely atrocious version. Just waiting on the White Stripes now.

6:53 PM  
Blogger Jeff Lakin said...

i also heard a bob dylan cover that was pretty godawful.

...is my fixation with the stripes as of late THAT obvious? still, i'm cringing at the thought of it.

10:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hold on - no other good thin lizzy songs? how about whiskey in the jar or jailbreak?

1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home