Saturday, April 29, 2006

Under the Covers with Jeff Lakin

Another paper, another post....

Still three papers to write before Thursday, but I needed a quick breather, and what better way than to share some sweet tunes with you wonderful people?

So I’m kind of test driving a new feature today (and loving the title.... if it was a radio show, my voice would have to drop an octave or so), in which I highlight some terrific cover songs that put a new spin on the familiar. Ordinarily, I’ll feature the original as well as a cover, but right out the gate I’ve got a unique case: two legendary rockers covering a Burt Bacharach tune.

“I Just Don’t Know What to do with Myself” is a classic weepy ballad of love lost, but The White Stripes and Elvis Costello both run with it to make something a bit more.

On the one hand Costello’s sensitive punk persona is a natural fit, so much so that he’d later come to collaborate on a whole album of Bacharach tunes (once again, emo kids take note- this is how to make sad sound good). Jack and Meg White, however, really work this song, infusing it with a surprising amount of forcefulness and soul while still making it a great song to sing along to in concert.

Overall, both are instant classics, and are highly recommended:

Elvis Costello- I Just Don’t Know What to do with Myself

The White Stripes- I Just Don’t Know What to do with Myself

…on an unrelated note, I’m pretty sure that if Lily Allen plays her cards right, she will be the next big thing. I look forward to her induction into Women of Musical Genius.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Elvis introduced me to this song, which is wrenching... the Stripes don't quite match him, but get props for good taste. (Jack and EC definitely share the bitter heartbreak thing...)

12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home