Friday, June 22, 2007

Finding Jon Brion, Day 4: At The Movies

Perhaps the place where Jon Brion has left the biggest mark to date has been his work composing the scores for various excellent films, including two of my personal favorites, “I Heart Huckabees” and “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.” Though a large part of his success in this field can be attributed to working with unique and original film projects to begin with, his music always serves as a critical element in what makes them work by staying close to the themes of the movie and helping to define them, from the somber lingering piano of “Eternal Sunshine” to the vaguely mysterious and off-kilter strings and xylophone melodies of “Huckabees”. Plus, he’ll often throw in one or two original songs onto a movie’s soundtrack that might not make it into the film, but usually make for an excellent bonus.

Jon Brion- Strings That Tie To You
(from Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jon Brion is a genuine musical genius. I just wish he would make AND RELEASE more straightforward pop albums. Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled with what he has given us, but I do believe he could put great songs and great recordings back in the spotlight.

Ace

2:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love the music from Eternal Sunshine.

5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home