Monday, February 20, 2006

Presidents' Day

For the record (ouch, no pun intended), I don't anticipate doing a helluva lot of gimmicky holiday posts like this one, but everything just falls into place here.

First off, its from a collaboration between two of my favorite acts- Billy Bragg and Wilco (though I don't thing Billy is doing too much on this one). Secondly, said collaboration is Mermaid Avenue, in which great unrecorded lyrics from Woody Guthrie, the godfather of Amerian folk music, were revived and reinterpreted by arguably some of his closest musical descendants.

But most of all, its a song called "Christ for President"- seriously, what's not to like?

Wilco (with Billy Bragg)- Christ for President.mp3

Alright, must be off to ponder The Federalist Papers... see, it really does all just fit into place.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heck yes...

Sometimes, I like to think about the real Jesus. Not the blue-eyed glowing figure of popular religion (for centuries) but the real son of God. I think it was my girlfriend who said "Jesus probably looked like Osama Bin Laden"... though I doubt he looked EXACTLY like Bin Laden... he was middle-eastern and I seriously doubt he had blue eyes or was engulfed in light all the time (except at his baptism and on the mountain when Elijah and Moses came to visit... just those times).

Jesus was a social liberal, and a nomad. He was a grass roots guy all the way. It's so funny to see the rulers of nations proclaim their allegience to Christ and then immediately go against all he stood for... and act like the church's endorsement was the same as God's.
...everyone knows the way I think, though... I'm the guy who thinks that vatican has more in common with the sanheidren than with the apostles. Just an opinion...

-BK

1:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd say Woody Guthrie is the grandfather of American folk. That assuming that Mr. Bob Dylan (who is said to have picked up his singing style from mimicking Woody Guthrie's speech impairment when Mr. Guthrie was late in his life) is the father of American folk music. That's just my two cents.

8:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

side note: I request an RSS Feed. I want this on my RSS feed. Please?

8:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's there i saw it, sorry for spamming the comments :-(

8:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for that. It's awesome. I grew up on folk-ish music, what with my dad being the biggest Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young (mostly just Neil Young who, in my opinion, sings like Kermit the Frog in the best of ways) fan ever. Also, it made me feel knowledgeable because I actually have heard that song and the album its from, have had the album in my possession for a period of about a month before I gave it back to my father. Of course, that was a long, long time ago.

Christ for president, indeed.

10:14 PM  
Blogger Jeff Lakin said...

wow, i am impressed that you've heard of Mermaid Avenue, it is a brilliant album (along with tis sequel).... props to your dad.

11:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home