Sunday, February 19, 2006

"I'm Sorry, Ladies and Gentlemen...."

...but i started a blog.

well, i guess it's nothing new- I've had that damn LJ for over a year now... fear not, the five or so of you that actually read it, it's not going anywhere.

however, after my recent discovery of the wonderful world of mp3 blogs, i feel like i have a new medium in which to express myself- namely, blabbering on about music and sharing it with all you fine people (once again, all five or so of you).

my hope is to get something up here every couple of days, and keep the mp3s up as long as i have enough MSU webspace, so get them while you can.

so without further ado.... the first song.

The year was 1977, the place was NBC studios. Elvis Costello was performing on Saturday Night Live, back when it actually was a hotbed of hip talent (imagine that). He was under contract to perform his latest single, "Less Than Zero," a song with no relevance whatsoever to the United States. After playing the opening bars, Mr. Costello cuts his band off, apologizes to the audience, and goes full tilt into a rendition of the anti-corporate (and unreleased) "Radio Radio," an act that gets him banned from the show for over a decade. In other words, it was a moment of music snob perfection in history.

I'd always said that if i had a radio show, this live cut would be the first song of my first set. For now though, this is definitely good enough :)

Elvis Costello- Radio Radio (live on SNL).mp3

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, well, I've never listend to Elvis Costello before (and I'm not sure why as I was raised on Vietnam protest music), but I really like this song. I think it, more than most songs of this era, continues to hold meaning in the present.

The history of it adds so much more to the song. Thanks for sharing it!

I am really excited about this blog primarily because I am eager for the opportunity to be exposed to the favorites of a self-proclaimed music snob. Most of the music I listen are pop hits (or have been at one time or another) and branching out will be an adventure. Also, your pontificating is bound to be eloquent and insightful.

Good luck and keep it up!

11:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also enjoyed the song. The melody was catchy, but the lyrics actually dared to make a statement. Popular music just isn't like that anymore- or for that matter ever. I enjoy being exposed to music where the lyrics are actually going to matter.

Alex and I were talking last night about songs with lyrics as opposed to songs without. Truth be told, I'm a bit of a music snob myself: I tend to listen strictly to jazz and mostly to songs without lyrics. Why waste time with lyrics when they all say the same thing? "Oh baby, I'm in love..." "breaking up sucks..." "You're hot... I'm hot... let's have sex". Popular music has disappointed me from a poetic stand point.

So, I look forward to being exposed to more music where the lyrics DO say something unique and non-superficial.

9:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hah! Whaddaya know. I grew up with that song, but never knew about the media drama attached to it. Good ol' Elvis.

As for your bloggery, I approve. In spades. Keep 'em coming.

12:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It ranks up there with the Nirvana playing the first bars of 'Rape Me', and the ever classic Doors playing the REAL lyrics to "Light My Fire" and well, the ever present image of Johnny Cash givin' the bird to the camera. In a word, CLASSIC.

8:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home